Green Stripe Cushion Covers

Green-cushion-cover-frontI finished this project ages ago, but I’m only just getting around to posting about them.

I wanted some new cushion covers because my feline housemate tends to shed on everything, and it would be nice to have some options to rotate in.

I ended up making some very simple envelope closure covers. At least, they were theoretically simple. I pinned them the wrong way the first time, and the envelop ended up inverted. I got it right eventually, though.

These cushiion covers took way longer to make than they should have, but in the end, I’m pretty happy with them.

Apologies for the poor quality of the photos. I took them with my cell phone.

Green-cushion-cover-back
Back view, featuring envelope closure.

Memorial Day Weekend in Boston

I went up to Boston for Memorial Day weekend to hang out with some friends during a much needed break. I thought I’d share some of the highlights of my trip here:

Tu Y Yo is a Mexican restaurant that veers away from the usual Tex-Mex fare, but it’s absolutely delicious. I went with two friends, and between us we got the Indio Vestido (cheese-stuffed cactus paddles), the Chile Relleno En Nogada (beef stuffed poblano pepper with a sweet creamy sauce), and the Mole Colorado Tiaxcalteca (chicken in a chocolate mole). Everyone loved what they ordered, and the waiter was very friendly.

Minted Mushy Peas – Peas have never been my favorite vegetable, but the minted mushy peas from The Haven in Jamaica Plain might have changed my mind. I didn’t think a vegetable could ever taste this good.

The SOWA Open Market is a weekly market (on Sundays) spread out over about 3 blocks in the South End, and there’s probably something for everyone here: lots of crafts, food trucks, and artisanal foodstuffs, plus many of the local brick-and-mortar stores and galleries are open.

One of those brick-and-mortar stores is Grey’s Fabric. They carry a lot of patterns from indy designers and a small but nice selection of fabrics and notions, and they offer classes. It was particularly nice to see samples of some of the patterns in real life, especially the ones I’ve been seeing on sewing blogs.

Summer Skirts!

As you may or may not know, I’ve been learning to sew. It’s going slowly, but the ultimate goal is to make things I can wear. To that end, I’ve made two skirts already and they are… more or less wearable. Of course, I made both of these skirts while it was still cold, so I really haven’t had a chance to wear them except to take some cell phone pictures for this post. Still, the weather has been warming up, so I hope to wear them soon.

The Orange Skirt

This is the only piece of orange clothing I own. I made this skirt in a sewing class, and it’s the first article of clothing I’ve ever made. The pattern is Amy Butler’s Barcelona Skirts—the A-line version. I had to modify it slightly, adding about two inches to the hip circumference and hem.

It wasn’t hard to make in class, but I’ve yet to try it again on my own, so we shall see. Also, the skirt doesn’t have any seam finishing, as doing those steps would have made the class last longer. Overall, I like the fit of it, though I wouldn’t mind more ease in the hips. Also, the skirt lacks pockets, which is a bit of a shortcoming in my book.

The Ladybug Skirt

The ladybug skirt the first article of clothing I’ve ever made on my own, and I think I made every mistake possible. It looks okay when I wear it, but do not look at the actual construction. So here’s a rundown of what I did wrong what I learned:

  • I tried to add pockets, but I didn’t make the opening big enough for my hands—thus making the pockets utterly useless. If I do pockets in the future, I should go with a pattern that already has pockets or at least remember to make the opening (or the pockets themselves) bigger. The pockets also made sewing this a headache. I think I’d have enjoyed this project more if I hadn’t attempted the pockets.
  • The seams are all a mess. Do not look at the inside of this skirt. I did do some simple finishes on most of the seams, though. I am beginning to understand why some people finish at least some of the seams before they actually sew them, however.
  • I should have made the casing for the elastic waistband bigger, since I’m using a wider elastic.
  • Hem – I should have constructed it differently, probably cutting off more and making the hemmed area smaller, as well as using the top of the hem as a guide while sewing rather than the bottom.

Honestly, after finish this skirt, I felt really discouraged and unsure if I’m meant to be a sewing-type person. I’m reminded of Jack Skellington’s song after he crashes the sleigh, particularly the middle verses.

I didn’t like this skirt until I tried it on with a top. Definitely a waistband that’s not meant to be seen, but as long as the shirt is over it, it’s fine. It’s even kind of cute.