I tend to have mixed feelings about resolutions. This will probably seem odd to most people who know me well, since I do set goals for myself every year. However, I think making resolutions can cause your to focus on the wrong things. It’s also disappointing when you don’t keep your resolutions.
I didn’t meet as many of my goals for 2013 as I’d hoped to, especially the writing-related ones. However, there are a few things I did in the last year that I’m rather pleased about:
- I started relearning Spanish
- I learned to sew
For 2014, my plan is to do a lot of writing, read more, post here more often, continue learning Spanish, and do more crafty things. Okay, and maybe also that pesky exercise thing.
Well, I rung in the new year in a manner that… was less than satisfying. Still, that leaves room for improvement for the rest of the year. So what would I like to have improve?
- Complete drafts of three projects (including the next draft of Wolf Season).
- Be less afraid of making writing mistakes—or making mistakes in anything else, for that matter.
- Improve my German. I’d like to be able to have a conversation without too much trouble.
- Continue to read a lot, and perhaps increase the variety of books I read.
- Blog more regularly.
- Enjoy myself more than I did the previous year.
- Do a better job of keeping in touch with friends who I don’t see very often.
As for 2011, I did accomplish a few things, although I felt like I did more in 2010. Still, here are some of the highlights from 2011:
- Read 38 books (2 less than 2010, but it’s 1000 more pages)
- Finished writing and doing a revision of Wolf Season
- Blogged fairly regularly for a good stretch of time
- Watching the new Doctor Who and Sherlock (and introducing some other people to them)
What about you? What are your goals for 2012?