Gardening update: grubs edition

My garden this year is… not doing quite as well as I’d like. I got a late start on it, and started most things from seeds. But the sage finally came up, and my hyacinth bean vines are doing really well, despite Bella having decided that they are fun to chew on. I also transplanted my petunias into grow bags. I am hopeful that they’ll do well in them, but the transplanting may have been a bit traumatic. I’m also trying to grow some rosemary and mint and a thyme lawn.

Unfortunately, the thyme is doing super poorly. I transplanted thyme plants into a 3′ x 3′ raised bed on the back patio. A few days ago, I realized that there are grubs, and they have really enjoyed snacking on the thyme roots. I’ve ordered some milky spore and am waiting for it to arrive. I may have to give up on the thyme lawn, though. I’m considering trying Johnny Jump Ups. They are purple and yellow violas that I’m told are fairly grub resistant. If I do, I’ll probably start from seed, and it’ll be a while before I do so.

I also repotted the houseplants a few days ago. They seem to be doing well and are enjoying being in bigger pots. (They were getting a bit rootbound.) I may see if I can get baby purple zebra plants. We’ll see.

Sunday Gardening

This weekend was amazingly warm, so yesterday I decided to do a bit of gardening. Bella supervised, of course. Here’s a quick rundown of what I did:

  • Propped up some of the raspberry canes, which are mostly green—though I did have to prune off a few brown ends. I’ll have to give these some 10-10-10 food.
  • Repotted the blueberry shrubs, which are also green, and gave them some azalea food. I used Mr. Fig’s old pot for one of the blueberry shrubs.
  • Planted some cat grass in three window boxes. In a few weeks, these will be brought inside for Bella to nibble on.
  • Planted some lavender seeds in two containers.
  • Threw some old nasturtium seeds into a pot. These seeds are a few years old, so who knows if they’ll grow or not.

This sounds like a lot, but it really only took an hour and a half. I still ended up feeling rather worn out afterwards, though.

Of course, then I checked the weather forecast and saw that the lows for Tuesday and Wednesday will be in the 30s. Still, my garden tends to be survival of the fittest, so we’ll see. Maybe things will will be okay.

The mint plant is still going, though I think i need to divide it and give it some more room. It’s probably getting rather root bound. That will have to wait until at least next weekend, however.

The Raspberry Patch

The gardening bug has found me again, and I got bit good. I’ve more or less decided to turn my back patio into a berry farm, something I’m planning to do in phases. I’ve just finished Phase I, which involved getting two baby blueberry plants and creating a raspberry patch.

The raspberry patch is 3×3 and made using a raised bed kit from the Gardeners Supply Company and a lot of dirt. I had three raspberry plants that I’ve stuck into the patch. It looks rather pathetic now (which is why i haven’t posted a picture), but I’m hoping my berry plants spread to fill the patch.

Next year, I think I’d like to do the same for strawberries.