Yesterday was the first day of spring, and it was actually quite nice out. As a result, I wound up taking down the plastic shelter on the back patio and doing some planting.
The shelter is a pop-up greenhouse that I got to shelter my little fig plant. The fig seems to have survived, since there are green buds on the tips of the branches. There was also one raspberry plant in with the fig. That seems to be doing quite well, and is a bit ahead of the raspberry plants that weren’t in the shelter.
As for what I planted, I started with some garlic that had sprouted in the kitchen. I also planted seeds for
- cat grass (a variety of oat, I think)
- oregano, thyme, sage, and chives in one trough
- “Color Palate Cupid” sweet peas from Renee’s Garden*
- “Whirlybird” nasturtiums from Renee’s Garden
- one trough of lettuce (I’ll probably do another in a few weeks)
Most of the seeds I used are at least a year old, so I’m not sure how well they’ll germinate. I also really hope I haven’t taken the fig out too soon. I guess there’s only one way to find out, though.
*Note that sweet peas are toxic and not to be eaten.